Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Ethnic Crossroads

I find myself in a very interesting position. I am a Persian, who is of the Christian faith, and who academically is very interested in Judaism and the Jewish roots of Christianity. I don't think it is very common to find these things together in one human being.

Most Persians are Muslim - few are Christian. Most Christians don't recognize and/or care about the Jewish roots of their religion. Some (many? I am not in a proper position to say) Persians are not very sympathetic towards Judaism, and by extension, Israel.

The call by the President of Iran for the extermination of the nation of Israel is not a part of my culture that I am proud of. I don't want to get too far into the whole debate about the existence of the state of Israel. I recognize how difficult the situation is, and that both sides of the debate have very strong points (and some weak ones). In any case, I do think the Jewish people should have a place to call home. I come at this because I think the Western world owes it to them for centuries upon centuries of abuse and mistreatment. However, to have them come into a land that hasn't been under Jewish sovereignty for 2500 years isn't a bright idea either. If someone came and kicked me out of my house and took my land, and then gave it to someone else, you could bet I'd be angry as well. Anyways, whatever reason I do have to support the existence of the state of Israel, it is most definitely not because of right-wing protestant exegesis - that shit I can't stand.

I'm at a very unique crossroad.

Cheers,
Kev

1 comment:

Eugene said...

You are still a brother, regardless of race, culture, and what your leader said...Dang..my culture we had guys running over their own people in tanks...pretty much says for fundamentalists hey?