Monday, December 26, 2005

Christmas Eve Mass

Oh yes, merry Christmas to all. A little late, but hey, Christmas day was busy - no time to blog.

I did things a bit different this year: for Christmas Eve I went to the midnight mass at Christ Church Cathedral, which is an Anglican church. It was amazing. A few of my reflections on that night:

- The cathedral itself, in its architecture and interior design, really made you think you've entered sacred space. Everything was so beautiful, so grand, so detailed. It's not like covering stained glass with shades, ahem ahem.
- The choir and musicians were out of sight. They were elevated one level up at the back of the sanctuary. The very placement of those leading the music was a wonderful reminder of what role music plays in worship and assembly.
- The choir/music was beautiful. I don't think I have heard anything so beautiful live before. Again, it stirs forth the sense of sacred presence.
- I really enjoyed the liturgy. It made me an equal participant in the whole worship service, instead of a (mostly) passive recipient.
- They did not fear the use of physical object and icons in the worship, as if objects/icons are inherently evil in themselves. So stuff like incense, chalices, bowls, robes, hats, candles, a bunch of stuff like that were incorporated and used in the service. In my mind, this recognizes the beauty and full validity of the physical world...as if everything were about the spiritual world alone!
- The prayers for the people. This part of the liturgy the church prayed for all sorts of people. Moving in circles further and further out from the church, we were led in prayer. Friends and family; politicians; police and health care professionals working during Christmas; those away from home during Christmas; our soldiers over seas; people recovering from natural disasters. Here was a church that realized it was part of a much bigger world.
- It was pretty cool being served communion by the Bishop himself. I don't have a reason really, it was just cool. Oh, and real wine and real bread is, well, better.
- The sermon was powerful. I haven't had a sermon touch heart and head in that way for quite a while now. But then again, I was one of the younger people in the crowd of 600ish, so the target audience was adults. Maybe that explains it.

All in all, it was a wonderful experience. I'm glad I went, even though I went alone. Of course, that worked out well since I got the third to last seat in the house - there were only single seats left by the time I arrived.

I have been to liturgical services before and have enjoyed them, this one was awesome as well. I do think I'll be going back again in the future.

Who knows, maybe Easter?

Cheers,
Kev

No comments: