Monday, January 02, 2006

Getting Stepped On

The way of Jesus is radical: it is the way of radical love. If someone strikes you, you don't resist; if someone takes from you, you give them more; if someone shows you evil and hate, you return goodness and love. In short, the way of Jesus is the way of getting stepped on.

But is this way sustainable? Can we humans live our lives getting stepped on all the time, and not fighting back? The way I see it, Jesus did it, and his life ended hanging on a piece of timber alongside political troublemakers.

And if the way of Jesus is the way of love and compassion, then what if our love and compassion is taken advantage of? I'm sure God gets this all time - but I'm not God and I don't have a clue how God deals with it. So whatever divine knowledge there might be, I'm not privy to it. This leaves human knowledge and wisdom to come up with an answer.

How much mercy and patience must I show before enough is enough?
How far should I allow others to take advantage of my kindness before I stop?
How far should I allow others to take advantage of my giving and selflessness before it becomes unhealthy?

I wish I had an answer.
I wish Jesus wasn't so radical.
Sometimes, I wish he didn't put his money where his mouth was and actually live--and die--for his values.

Everything would be much easier that way.

Cheers,
Kev

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tough call. Well then what are we to do?
Faith. Belief that what we're doing has a reason. That its not in vain. The Good Lord sees what we do..i just have to believe that what i suffer for has a higher reason. I suppose we just have to trust in the Lord. After all, the whole notion of trust is to understand that there are things we can't understand..but still commit to it. Your line of thought gives me headache. I'm going to lie down now.